Wednesday, September 29, 2010

SSS - Sucky Siteground Service


We have been with Siteground for almost 3 years now and we've never had problems with it until recently.

We were told that we are over the allowed bandwidth capacity for a shared hosting so we should sign up for a dedicated server. They say we have a script that must be using the resources and that we should take it out. I checked every plugin that was causing the problem and removed them. After a day they said the server went back to its normal load and that we can go about using the site again.

After a week they shut us down again and said we need to pay 50 USD to have the site activated again because it seems we are overloading the server with SOMETHING since they didn't point out what was causing the problem. I told them that I have removed everything that should cause such problems and that I don't know what else to do. The thing that pisses us the most is that we don't even use the site as much as we did 2 years ago. I talked to my friend about cancelling the service and get a refund for the year unused.

The problem with them started a couple of months ago. I noticed that our site was slow and that pages were missing. After a few hours a whole folder was missing and then a blog etc. I emailed them and they said that I deleted the blog and other files. After telling them that I didn't delete anything, they said that they will try and bring back the files as courtesy. I checked back a few hours after that and saw that the system admin sent us a notice that the server was failing and that was the cause of the lost files but they are already working on it. The site was dead for 2 days.

Yesterday I just got completely tired of all the bullshit and blame-shift. I believe that they just want us to sign up for a dedicated server... A dedicated server that costs around 170 USD a month... A MONTH! FTW!

We have a temporary portfolio (at creativebucket.tumblr.com) and a domain and I will be transferring everything else to zoonhosting when I get my pay in a few weeks. Hopefully things will last longer than 3 years and I am hoping to get and keep forever my old domain lyndm.com

No comments: