Monday, October 18, 2010

The Red Modem

It was raining pretty bad saturday afternoon and then lightning struck just outside my window (iskerrriii). My monitor went black then on again, and the internet connection died but everything seemed to be fine. Nothing smelled weird and everything was working except for the internet.

My 7 year old Nokia modem had all the lights on except for the 100M LAN light. I checked my LAN connection and it said "disconnected" at the bottom. I diagnosed the problem and it said "might be disconnected or broken" GAAAAAH.

I went to the nearest mall to get me a cheap LAN card and installed it. Still, the new LAN said "disconnected". I called Raz and he said the same thing happened to him but both the router and LAN got fried. I don't have a router and the modem seemed to be OK. I was plugged to a ups and a surge protect extension cord. I changed cables and still it says "disconnected". I gave up after staring at the thing for another 3 hours. I must now give up the most reliable modem pldt distributed. I called up pldt to ask for a new modem they said they will let me know if there are any extra modems in my area. I text-ed Ava if I can test my connection with her pldt modem and she actually has a spare modem from pldt. Both modem came today and both worked and now I am online.

Heres what I am using now:

I looked up comments about both modems. They aren't great but its better than not having any connection (especially now that the neighbors have passwords for their wifi tsk).

No comments: